- Installed the Ajax Server Extensions
- Installed the AjaxControlToolkit
- Upgraded Sharepoint to Service Pack 1 or later
- Upgraded WSS 3.0 to Service Pack 1 or later
- Copied the AjaxControlToolkit.dll file to the bin folder of your portal under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\yoursite\bin
- Updated the Web.config by adding relevant entries to support Ajax -> C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\web.config (copy entries from web.config in a website you created by using the Ajax Enabled website starter kit in Visual Studio)
- FORGET ABOUT SMARTPART or any other 3rd party web parts that convert user controls into web parts. That was a crude workaround for versions of sharepoint before service pack 1.
- Use the web part development add-in for visual studio (use it to develop, deploy and debug)
- Add Scriptmanager control to your masterpage
<-- that is exactly where you must insert it
<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server"/>
- Remember to publish your masterpage after adding the scriptmanager
- Toolkit controls have to be dynamically constructed in web part codebehind
- If your webparts are iterating through sub-sites remember to use the SpSecurity.Delegate functionality as described in an earlier post in this blog.